Saturday, October 18, 2008

Is it like Sex in the City?

I never watched Sex in the City before this weekend. Amazing, but I lived most of my life without cable; how could I afford cable AND Gucci AND Ferragamo AND Cole Haan...you get the picture. So, last weekend I watched the movie, 4 years later in the lives of the fabulous four and was fascinated.

I caught up on the 1999 series...what happened in 1999? Oh, yeah: late twenties, early thirties, maybe that's why Sex in the City is so appealing, they and I were the same age, and I DID collect shoes, run up ridiculous tabs at swanky watering holes, used to be able to compare the latest trend in restaurant decor, service, palate.

Casual chic, swingy hair, and difficult relationships.

What will it be like this time around? Currently, my apartment is unfurnished, I work late hours at the new job, and dip my toes gently into the cold rushing river that is NY social life.

I am 3 years older. San Francisco taught me large open spaces and fresh food - Boston taught me...well, that I hate politics - and how to move quickly out of sinking situations, and here I am again.

Maybe that's why I watched Sex in the City - I needed a primer.

Things are very easy now, but they are the same: friends are moving onwards, upwards...the boys are exactly the same; the clothes, well at least I know where to go shopping, (tho the current economic state taught me to be cautious in spending); food is great as always and delivery at 3am if I feel like it all week long....

My body is adjusting to the warmth in the mid-Atlantic. Warmer than SF, warmer than Boston.

It's perfect.

1 comment:

Gerry said...

Don't forget that you learned a LOT about lesbians in Boston.